I normally love and loathe this time of the year. I love it because I get to go back to my day job of teaching little (and sometimes bigger) munchkins but I loathe it because it means getting up early.
Here's what I love about it:
- cooler temperatures in the morning and a gorgeously warm afternoon
- going into my classroom and decorating it
- learning the names of my students and trying to put faces to the names
- back to school shopping (I love the gadgets)
- Fall is just around the corner
What I loathe about it:
- having to get up earlier and earlier in order to get back on "schedule"
- the 'homework' I give myself in order to be ready for the first day
- trying to find work clothes that fit and are appropriate for the grade I'll be teaching
- having to think about packing my lunch
- planning, planning, planning
- the lack of sleep that comes with the first day of school
- the exhaustion of the first week
However, for the second September in a row, I'll be missing the first day of school. In fact, I'm out for the entire school year and I must say it feels pretty weird to not have to do any planning at all. Last year, I went back in January and wasn't sure I was going to survive my first week. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be missing some things that I love!
However, there are many positives to being home and as big as a whale for a couple more weeks:
- being home with J and getting to play and interact with him
- the malls will be empty (same with the zoo) meaning I can maneuver without bumping into people
- I'm going to get a newborn to cuddle in a couple weeks
- I'll be able to find some babysitters since they won't all be on vacation
- no big kids at the park or indoor playgrounds
What do you look forward to now that school is back in?
Oh! Guess what! Tomorrow I'm hosting Toddle Along Tuesday over at Growing up Geeky! It's time to link up your favourite easy recipes. I'm looking to build my recipe book for when Baby Boy #2 arrives so that I can still provide home-cooked meals for my family! Linky goes live tonight (Monday) at 8pm EST!